Monday, June 8, 2009

Maybe not!

The following Monday I saw my surgeon, Dr. Volz who is pretty much one of the awesome-ist doctors I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot of them. Mom and Amy also came again to listen and ask questions for me. I received a schedule from the Cancer Center over the weekend that had me scheduled for chemo on 6/19, which there was no way that was happening. I explained some of the things that DD and I had talked about and the two of them had actually discussed my situation over the weekend. He told me again that he felt it was ok to continue without a mastectomy. He felt that the pathology report from the lumpectomy was stronger than a possibility of something still being there on the MRI. I was waiting for someone to tell me what to do! That would make things so much easier! I was 90% sure walking into his office that I was ready to have a mastectomy, but I was concerned that they were in a rush to get me started on chemo. I didn't want to start chemo already feeling like crap, fresh off a double mastectomy. I was terrified of the pain and the reconstruction. I asked mom and Amy what they thought I should do. Mom had hinted previoiusly that she didn't think a mastectomy was a good idea so soon, and she said it again today. Amy felt the same way so I said "OK, I wanna keep my boobs!" no take backs!
I had gotten the results of the BRCA test back that morning and they were negative! I'm a "sporadic" case, meaning there's no damn reason they can attribute to why my life is turned upside down!
Next plan was to get my surgery for my port scheduled, which would be in 3 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment