Saturday, June 5, 2010

Finished! For real this time!

I had my last radiation on Thursday! I'm completely finished, other than a skin check in 2 weeks and they're also checking my arms for swelling at that time. Dr even said that I really tried to drag this out as long as possible :)
I actually showed up on Tuesday thinking it was my last treatment, but this was not correct. They just didn't schedule my last two treatments originally. I had to go in on Thursday at 7:40 am, I asked the girl if it was because on my last day they had coffee and donuts for me? She just said "no, i think there was a scheduling conflict" REALLY?? She was new, she didn't get me yet...
They stopped radiating my chest wall that day because when I was in on Friday, the tech said I had some serious blisters in my armpit. I had no idea because I have no feeling under my arms and on my chest yet from the surgery- all nerves are dead yet. So they stopped doing that area that was giving me the blisters in my armpits and gave me some solution to "soak" my armpit in. That was complicated... but it worked, just two days later they said it looked much better.
All the girls working when I left wanted hugs- I got my free tshirt- and I did NOT ring the bell. I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious and last time I rang that damn bell it didn't get me too far...maybe at my 5 year check up.
I had labs on Friday and as I was sitting there waiting for the physical in the lobby a lady came out of what must have been her last treatment of radiation- she looked not much older than me, I'm not sure where she's been hiding the last year- I swear I know everyone in town with cancer. But when she came out in the lobby her family and friends were there and all started cheering for her and had flowers for her, then she rang the bell. Not a dry eye in the place! It was very cool...
So from here, I'm anxiously waiting for my new boobies surgery- which they said would be in 3 months but I can not wait! I'm planning on doing it around Sept 20th because Amanda and I are running the 5K in Sioux City on the 18th and it might be nice to not have boobs hitting me in the face while I run (because that's the real reason I don't run). So I'm working on getting in shape for that. Spending a lot of time on the elliptical and just got a new bike last week. Chris and I just got back from a 7-ish mile ride. Now we're going to the bar :) Have a good weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Yay!! Congratulations!! Does that mean no more blog posts? :(

    ReplyDelete