Thursday, April 30, 2009

Seriously?

Today I went back to the Breast Care Center for the biopsy. They did the ultrasound to locate the lump, then took a long hollow (thick) needle into the lump and took out small samples. My entire breast was dull, I didn't feel a thing. The only thing I felt was when they snapped the trigger of the needle, the ultrasound goo was splashing me in the face! The doctor and the two nurses were laughing because I was laughing, they had never had anyone say anything about it before.
They were going to do what they called a "frozen sample" where they would send a sample or two to the lab, where they would get a preliminary diagnosis in about 20 minutes. While they did the biopsy, they put a small titanium marker on the lump so when the surgeon took it out, it would be easier to find the lump within all the tissue. So they, did another mammogram so they had the marker on a film. So, what is that now? 3 mammograms in 4 days... except it did start to hurt after they had just dug needles through my boob. Mom and I went to get a snack while we waited for the results of the frozen sample. When we got back to the clinic the doctor saw us in a small room where she told us that they weren't comfortable quite yet saying what it was. She said it was cause for concern, but it definitely needed to come out. The final report would be out in about three days, but today was already Thursday. The lady doctor said that knowing the lab doctor, she thought he would have it completed by Friday afternoon so I wouldn't have to wait the weekend. She asked then, when the best time of day was to call me with the results. She was also very reassuring that she would see me again to discuss the results or I would be able to meet with Dr. Volz again at his clinic.
Mom and I walked out of the clinic not saying a word. I walked outside the building and I just said, "Are you kidding me?" and she said, "Lets just get this over with. It's one thing that it needs to be removed, but it's a whole other issue if it's cancer." We sat in the car and just cried for a few minutes, fearing the worst.

No comments:

Post a Comment