Thursday, May 14, 2009

One week follow up

Today I had my one week follow up with Dr. Volz after the lumpectomy. They told me all the "margins are clear" meaning they got it all. In my mind I imagine them taking a melon baller and just scooping it out- seems wierd. They also told me it was Stage 2- meaning it hadn't spread much outside the area it originated and that one lymphnode (the second one in the strand of three) that they took had microscopic traces of cancer. Still, my main concern was that I didn't want to do chemo, I started crying everytime it was mentioned. Dr. Volz said we'd worry about that later, but it was looking like I was going to need chemo and radiation. He set me up to see a radiation oncologist and a medical oncologist in the next few days for more information. I had previously seen a medical oncologist for my blood clotting problem when I had my surgery on my back last summer so I was relieved that I knew who I would be seeing. Amy had offered to go to these appts with us since it was so much information coming at me at one time and I was having a hard time keeping everything straight.
I returned to work the following Monday, as I was still in a lot of pain when I went for my one week appt.

No comments:

Post a Comment