Tuesday, December 22, 2009

MRI

Today Mom and I took a trip to Omaha to Creighton for another MRI. Apparently no one in Sioux City knows how to read boob MRI's, I'm told.
I totally forgot about the IV part of the MRI. They are doing some remodeling so my test was in a semi truck :) I can only use one arm for needle sticks, blood pressure and such because I've had lymphnodes removed. Of course, the lady was having problems finding a good vein to start the IV. She said that chemo ruins the veins, which is why she had no problem starting it last time, other than a little slip of the finger and blood on the floor, very minor compared to today's. First stick to the top of the hand instantly started swelling. Didn't realize it had blown a vein until they slid me into the machine and started the dye going in and it was burning, burning, burning so she ended up taking out the IV.
Second stick to the crotch of the arm, in the "prepunched holes" she called them-where the scars are from my weekly blood draws- also started swelling instantly so she backed it out.
Next they called other parts of the hospital to have an expert come in and give it a go. After about 20 minutes a nurse from the ER came and tried the outside elbow of my arm, then the top of the hand again- then another part of the hand until she spotted a good one in my thumb and one in my pointer finger. When she told the first nurse to hold my hand because it was gonna hurt, I knew that wasn't good! But it finally worked- after about 45 minutes, 6 pokes and about a pint of blood on the floor.
MRI started and finished, about 5 minutes before I was done I felt my hand getting warm, but I couldnt' tell if it was really warm or if it was just getting hot from hanging out the top of the tube over my head. When she slid me out of the machine, I said "I'm leaking!" There was blood all over my hand, all over the tube and left a trail of blood all through the tube where she had pulled me out. She started unwrapping my hand because they had taped my hand together so the good poke they had wouldn't move and BAM!! the IV needle thing shot out of my hand and back into the tube about 10 feet away! She said she had never seen anything like that before- glad I could give her some additional experience :) There was blood EVERYWHERE! All over me, the tube, the floor, the bed, EVERYWHERE! They had to put a glove on my hand so I could get dressed and not get blood all over my clothes, but ended up going into the bathroom because it wouldn't wash off with the tiny alcohol pads in the semi.
No results yet, should be a couple days but hopefully before Christmas so I don't have to wait through a long weekend! I am bruised and swollen all over my hand and arm, what a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment