Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A little bit of history repeating..


So Wednesdasy night I worked a bit late (because I've been feeling good and try to fit in extra time when I can). Came home and Kim and I ordered wings from Townhouse- best wings ever! Just kinda hung out, my foot kept falling asleep so I had elevated it a bit.
That night around 10 I went in to get ready to bed and when I took my socks and pants off, this is what I saw!

It was red, hot and painful to the touch. Crap! I really don't have time for this! I took this picture and sent it to my mom, it took a while for her to write back so I thought maybe I was off the hook. I thought about just going to bed and worrying about it in the morning. But I was supposed to present at a training session in the morning so I didn't really have time to deal with it then either. Mom wrote back and told me to call the On-Call at the cancer center so I did.
The Dr that I had had for my back surgery was on call, I had requested to be treated by Dr Doodlebop instead of that doctor because I just really liked Db. The other doctor apparently is the smartest man in the world, I'm told by just about everyone- but doesn't so much have the bedside manner that I wanted when I was dealing with the big C. So that makes things wierd when he's on call so that's who I have to see. I wonder if he knows I requested the other doctor over him? I hope not! That makes wierdness..
Anyway, when he called me back, I explained that I had a blood clot in this same leg not even 2 months ago and its swollen just like it was then, but it was also now red, hot and painful, which it wasn't before. That's why I never thought my blood clot was anything to worry about before I had been admitted- because when I had my first blood clot in college (2002) it was extremely painful. I was doubled over in pain for days! This one now isn't that bad, but still hurts.
He told me to go to the ER and he would call and have someone ready to do an ultrasound when I got there. I asked if it could wait till tomorrow, and he said it was a bit too concerning to him, to wait overnight. I didn't think it was even possible for me to get another blood clot when I'm on coumadin, but he told me it only provides some protection against forming new clots- WTF? Why even bother then? My blood tests that had been done on Friday-just 5 days ago- were perfect, for the first time since I'd been on coumadin.
I called Mom and she said she was already packing her bag so I told her he wanted me in the ER for an ultrasound. I knew I wasn't coming home....damnit! I jumped in the shower really fast and gave my legs a quick shave since someone was going to be touching them and looking at them. The hairgrowth is quite strange these days, kinda like crop circles. I didn't want to scare anyone.
When we got to the ER- which is the scariest place in the world at 11 pm. I'd never been to an ER ever until this year, now apparently I'm on the frequent patient list since this is now the 3rd time this year! They told me the Doc had actually come in and was going to see me. They put me and mom in a room and he came in shortly after. Then I went for an ultrasound- they pushed my bed down the hall and left me there, said someone would be out shortly to get me. And then out comes my old pal Molly! She lives next to my grandma and we played Barbies everyday till we were like 16 I think. Ok, maybe not that long. At first I thought maybe this was going to be wierd, being nearly naked and all in front of an old friend, but it wasn't at all. We got caught up and she did the ultrasound until the doctor came in, then we shut up. I don't think he wanted to listen to us chat about our families and how creative we were with our Barbies. :)
She told him there was no blood flow past my mid theigh all the way down my leg- nada zip nothing! But there was a little something in my ankle...I couldn't hardly feel her little wand tool at all when she was doing the test.
So, I was admitted back to 7SE, Oncology unit. The only plus about having cancer is that you always get your own room in the hospital! My room over looked the Promenade, where the holiday parade is going to be on Monday night! Best seat in the house since the doctor told me I'd be here for a week getting Heparin. It was 2:30 when they got me admitted and IV's running. I was exhausted, I had already taken my sleepy-time meds before I started getting ready for bed! 6 hours later I wa definitely ready to sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment