Thursday, August 13, 2009

Today I had another appt with the doctor to make sure I can do my chemo tomorrow. I believe his word were "outstanding" referring to my blood levels and whathaveyou. I'd never seen this guy before so he was reading my chart as he went, asking me questions. Like, Are you going to have radiation after chemo? I said that it wasn't yet decided as I've been told different things by different doctors, and he knew that because I was reading everything over his shoulder. He asked me who the debate was between and if it was between me and myself. Como what the hell are you talking about? Yeah, I said, Theresa- do you want to have radiation? Um yeah theresa, i think I should, do you? no, i think you can do without, ask me again tomorrow. Is that what he imagined was the "debate conversation?" But the thing is he was dead serious. Who is this guy?
Well, bullshit aside, I'm now growing concerned that the chemo drugs that I'm taking are not going to be effective. He again asked me why I was on these particular chemo drugs...well, when I went to medical school, this is what I found to be most effective...or maybe because that's the shit that is forced into my veins every week! Can you tell I handle stress with an abundance of sarcasm?? So I told him that the week before I began chemo, the doctor that I was seeing, becuase my awesome doctor was out of the country, said they had attended a conference about this triple negative breast cancer that I have, and that the latest clinical tests results show this was the best treatment for this type of cancer. He added that he was at the same conference and he didn't 'get that' from the information that was presented. Then he began describing the intricities of DNA and BRCA 1 and 2 and how the drugs respond to the genetic hidbbidy of the 'achilles heel' of the cancer.... (Insert blank face here)
In a nutshell, I'm a little concerned that this treatment (which was also questioned by my real doctor) that I've been doing isn't effective enough. That will be my fist question when I'm set to begin chemo again after tomorrow, unless he was able to discuss it with my doctor and change whatever they feel needs changing. umph!!!!
PS he doens't think I'm going to need a Neulasta shot next week- again! Yay! We'll see what tomorrow brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment