Friday, August 21, 2009

The Awesome-ness continues...

I had a check up today as it is my 'week off' chemo and had all my labs done to make sure all is still going well, and it is! Everything is completely "normal", which begs the question- Is this even working? The nurse explained that the chemo kills good cells and bad cells becausae it can't tell the difference, but my good cells don't seem to be murdered by the chemo. Apparently my chemo is smarter than the average chemo? I'll be questioning the doc again on this next week since today I just saw a nurse.
The highlight of the visit was when I stepped on the scale the digital reader completely blanked out and turned all black! "What? OMG!" I was freaking out- I feel like a pregnant octo-mom carrying an additional 26 lbs since beginning chemo 8 weeks ago but I didn't think I needed a flat bed scale yet! The nurse just laughed, apparently she had just turned it on when I stepped on. Or she was just trying to make me feel better...but then the stupid thing started working and I've only gained one pound this week.
I developed a nasty rash in the bends of my elbows, or as I like to call it, the crotch of my elbows. It came on Monday and got worse through the week, doesn't hurt, doesn't itch- just very red and gross looking. When they drew blood I didn't even feel the poke. The nurse asked my Doc Doodlebop to come in and take a look. When he walked in he said "it came back?" He remembered! I got this same rash on the first day of my last round of chemo (Round (noun)- each set of four weeks I have chemo; three weeks chemo, one week off) while I was getting chemo. After just a couple days it turned to looking like a curling iron burn and flaked off leaving no scarring or anything behind. It was gone by the time I had seen him again but he was thinking it was some kind of allergic reaction to the chemo. Not too big of a deal since my throat didn't close and kill me but I now have a steroid cream (oh, i love steroids! They're making me nice and plump :( -
I'm feeling awesome this week! I was up after 10 pm two nights! Far later than the usual 8:30 I start heading to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment