Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Big Day!

So today was a big day! I had two appointments; one with the radiologist dr and one with physical therapist.
Morning started out rough- I usually take my pain pills a while before I ever attempt to get out of the recliner I've been sleeping in, but this morning there was no time for that. I was hard enough to even wake up! I've been sleeping 12-14 hours each night and then napping again in the afternoon.
First stop of the day was to the cancer center, to the radiation Dr- he said again that he was shocked that the MRI turned out to be cancer again. Nothing really changed on what he plans to do concerning radiation, except for that he will be radiating my neck/shoulder area to get the lymphnode area, given the cancer was so extensive although the lymph nodes were clear. Holding off on any actual plans until the results of the PETscan are back, which won't be for another few weeks.
This afternoon I met with my physical therapist for the first time. Apparently my surgeon thinks its bad that I refuse to use my left arm and just sit in the recliner packed with pillows all day long. She had me in tears within minutes of doing any treatment on me. She did a lot of measuring of how far I could move my arms in several different directions, then followed with a massage to the surgical sight, my armpit and the entire shoulder area- that killed! It was horrible!
She sent me home with homework since she only is at the office one day a week, I have a lot of healing to do on my own. She sent me to a home medical supply store to get a pully thing that goes into the top of a closed door and I pull one arm up and then pull the other up. I do that as well as the massage and also lay flat on my back in my bed, all for 5 minutes three times a day.
I'm really itching to get back to work. I'm so bored sitting here all day, I need some human contact! Hopefully if this weekend goes well, I can get back there on Monday, might start doing half days, we'll see when the time comes, day by day.
Mentally, I'm doing a lot better than I thought I would considering the initial shock of the news. Before surgery I had researched the surgery online to know what I was getting into. I saw pictures and read all the advice those who have blazed this trail before me had to give. I think that helped the shock factor- every once in a while it gets me, but right now I need to concentrate on getting better!
I hope this clears up some questions those of you who received an email from my mom! I'm fine! Nothing new today! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment