Monday, January 11, 2010

Recovering at home

I had surgery on Monday 1-4-09. They weren't 100% sure it was cancer until they got the lab report back, and sure enough, it was. Showed one tumor to be 5.5 cm, which is bigger than the first that I had removed in May. They also removed 4 lymphnodes which all turned out to be clean, as well as the right boob- which was removed as a preventative measure.
It was supposed to be an overnight stay, but in True-Theresa Fashion, I stayed until Saturday. My blood levels were very low and ended up having 3 bags of blood in the first few days following the surgery. They weren't sure if I was bleeding too much inside from the surgery so they were starving me for a few days while they waited it out to see if I needed additional surgery.
The first night after my surgery, I had been up a couple times witht the nurse walking and getting to the bathroom. So when I needed to use the facilities again that night I told mom she could just take me as it was only a few steps away. I remember sitting on the toilet and mom was right outside the door. I remember looking down at my flat chest wrapped in gauze and compression dressings and thinking "oh my god, I had a mastectomy today" that's all I remember until I woke up in my bed with several nurses all around me. I had passed out stone cold, going head first into the shower. My mom had seen me starting to fall and screamed for some help and they came in and picked me up and bought my bed to me. I vaguely remember my mom telling me to pull the help-cord in the bathroom as I was heading down. She said my eyes were huge with nothing but pupils and whites around them.
I didn't know before that you use your boobs to type. Getting sore now, I'll write more later!

1 comment:

  1. Theresa, I am so proud of you for everything that you are going through. Continue being strong and know that there are people who love and care for you!
    Love, Buffy

    ReplyDelete