Tuesday, September 22, 2009

24 Hours In...

Slept ok, when I was actually able to sleep! They came in every 2 hours to draw blood to monitor how thin it was getting. They also gave me some shots to blast the clot apart. Mom took the day off and sat with me. How boring this is! At least on the cancer floor, it's all private rooms! No one crapping on the curtain between our beds (i still have nightmares about that).
Since my doctor was on rounds at the hospital this week, I got to see him this morning. He gave me a stern scolding for not calling the on-call doctor on Sunday. Seriously, he went on for about 5 minutes. I didn't know it was this serious, or serious at all! I've had several appointments where I thought the swelling was really bad, and sent home because there was nothing there! When I had my first blood clot, it was probably the worst pain I had ever had in my life. I was doubled over in pain for several days before it was diagnosed- this hardly hurts at all. The Dr told me I 'might be able to leave by the weekend if I had something going on" so the few days has now turned into at least 5 days at this point. I will also be on coumadin for the rest of my life- since this bloodclot was brought on by surgery or extended period of laying around, the seriousness has increased. Oh well, what can you do?

I had a few visitors that made the time pass by this afternoon. Tonight is the "Divine Desserts" event with Dr. Lisa Masterson at the Marina Inn. Mom had bought a table and there was 8 of us to attend. There is a special receptioin for Cancer Survivors at 6 that I was going to go to, but can not. Thankfully we found enough people to take the extra tickets since my two friends who were going to go with me do not know each other so that would make things kinda wierd! They gave up their tickets and mom found people to use them.
Here's a special treat I got last night...apparently anyone who is admitted to this floor has to be test for MRSA and something else- that entails a swap up the nose and one around the anus. Awesome! hey, if that's the worse thing that happens- I'm ok with that. Quick and painless! I'm just so thankful I can get up to use the bathroom!

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry... crapping on the curtain? I need more details on this story-- but not too many details! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were there, weren't you? When I had my first clot and my roommate was that old lady who crapped on the curtain between our beds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I experienced that one. If I did, I've blocked it from my mind!

    ReplyDelete