Monday, September 21, 2009

Sunday afternoon I noticed that my leg was very swollen again. I put my sexy ted hose on and elevated my leg for the afternoon. My cousin Michelle was visiting from Omaha so we just hung out at home for the day. Monday morning when I woke up the swelling still hadn't gone down. I sent mom this picture to show her how my leg was swollen.
I called my dr and told them how large my leg and foot were and they fit me in that afternoon. My Dr. Doodlebop was on hospital rounds so I saw lady Dr. Rao- she was very concerned and sent me up to hospital for an ultrasound. She was pretty sure it was a bloodclot and explained what she wanted to do to treat it, with lovanox injections at home for a week. She didn't even want me walking around at her office while we waited to set up the ultrasound with the hospital.
Once we were at the hospital and the tech started on my leg, I knew things were not good! She was concentrating a lot on my groin area where I had my clot in 2002. After she eventually made it down my leg and ankle area, she went back again over my groin and then up into my abdomen. There were lots of very pretty colors on the screen and I had to ask what was going on! She had just changed the velocity of the waves and the colors was all, but I was freaking! She told me to stay where I was on the table in case the doctor wanted to take a look before I got dressed. She came back about 20 mintues and told me I could get dressed but to stay in the room on the table since she was waiting for Dr Rao to call her back with directons on what I should do next. A while later she came back and said that Dr Rao was on the phone for me. She was talking very loudly in the phone and very excited- between her and the tech, they told me that I had a bloodclot in my illiac vein that started in my abdomen and stretched down my entire leg. It was blocking 75% of my bloodflow. Holy Crap! She told me I needed to be on complete bed rest for a week and I'd be giving myself blood thinner injections twice a day and they would be monitoring my blood closely throughout the week since my immune system and blood count levels are already compromised to begin with, the blood thinners make things even trickier. After several phone calls between the ER, my Dr, the insurance co- my dr decided it was easier and safer for me to be admitted.
I was in shock, I kind of still am. It doesn't hurt like my first blood clot did- I really wasn't expecting it to be anything- sound familiar? Maybe I should start gambling! So here I am, for at least a few days while they try to break up this monster clot! I'm at Mercy- on the oncology floor if anyone is bored, so am I! Come see me!

No comments:

Post a Comment